Friday, April 3, 2009

Hoopla!

I am thinking back to one of my first memories of our small group, and I remember having the opportunity to reassure Kate of the legitimate concerns she had about being able to keep up with the workload, and the relief she felt when hearing that others struggle as well.  It came full circle today as she reassured me that if I can handle school at EBC, I will be able to handle the work of a Nursing student.

It has been a very interesting experience for me in this "more mature group" as we often call it, especially since I am the youngest by at least 6 years.  In these last two weeks it has been especially evidant.

Last week we talked about wether or not a spiritual mentor could be younger than the mentee.  My age was obviously noticed in that context, and I did make points for age being less relevant.  The concensus seemed to be that it does not matter if a spiritual mentor is younger than the mentee; if the spiritual mentor is young, as in immature, then that is certainly a problem.  I thought it was ironic that even if I was talking to people 8+ years older than myself who did not agree with being mentored by somebody younger than themselves, they were still listening to me.  My point may have been made regardless of the words I used ;)

This week we had a barbeque at Kate's house, and everybody was again able to make it.  What a great group!  And to think that Kate likes to do nice things like this. That is crazy!  Anyway, topics ranged from sexual techniques, bad sex, good sex, orgasms, fake orgasms, fidelity, potential partners, sexual preferences, and masterbation within the context of marriage.  We also talked about border crossing by way of Lake Superior in a ski-doo.  I learned a lot for sure, though there were times when I was uncertain about wether or not I wanted to know what I was learning.  And I have a lot of conversations about sexuality.  I simply have never seen people get so honest so fast, and this has been a huge benefit to me.

It is not possible to see from my current perspective if this will be possible, but I would love for our group to connect next year.  If nothing else I feel I have excellent rapport with all the members of my group, and would feel comfortable coming to them for advice or help.  Perhaps we will take our developing relational skills and use them in new supportive relationships, or perhaps we will have the opportunity to support each other again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment